Handmade mosaic!

We’ve been working away on this project for quite a while, and we’re excited about it being nearly finished. Our client saw our handmade ceramic tiles on our Rustika Green coffee table and commissioned us to produce two floor-to-ceiling strips for the bathroom of his new apartment which he is refurbishing. We were delighted to undertake something so ambitious, because we’d never had cause to put so many of our tiles all in one place! This is the second of the two strips, which will be positioned inside the shower unit, with its partner just outside on the same wall. The idea was to introduce an artisanal element to the bathroom, so that residents and visitors alike would be able to appreciate how varied each tile can be.

The first step was to substitute the rusted steel tiles we used on the Rustika Green with something in the same part of the colour spectrum which would be practical for a wet environment. We decided on copper and beige effect glazes, which complement one another well. We used the white craquelure effect and our custom green, as well as some combinations of the above! All in all it’s a diverse mosaic, especially as the three sizes of tiles are dispersed a non-typical way throughout, so they hardly line up anywhere.

This overall shot gives some idea of the scale of the piece, which measures 50x242cm. The tiles were laid out on setup paper and an industrial fibreglass mesh, then once the composition was complete they were stuck down using a strong adhesive. The idea was to facilitate installation, because it’s not practical to send loose tiles and expect a tiler to install them as you specify in photos. The entire strip will be cut up into sections just like the previous one, then transported in checked baggage. The client specifically requested that we were present to oversee the installation, and we’ll also take the final photos in situ.

Colour range overview from a random area.

The white craquelure effect varies massively from tile to tile, as does our custom green.

This one below highlights the dark part of the colour spectrum we used. The browns and blacks have a lot of texture variation that’s hard to see unless you look closely.

Some more detail on the textures of the copper and beige effects!

Stay tuned for more on this project; we’re working away on getting it delivered and can’t wait to see it installed!!

 

Este sitio web utiliza cookies para que usted tenga la mejor experiencia de usuario. Si continúa navegando está dando su consentimiento para la aceptación de las mencionadas cookies y la aceptación de nuestra política de cookies, pinche el enlace para mayor información.plugin cookies

ACEPTAR
Aviso de cookies